What is Probate, Temecula Valley, California?

Posted on Updated on


Probate is a scary word in real estate since it is not a majority sale type.  Agents and Buyers have little experience with the ins and outs so the typical result is to avoid these types of sales.  We’ve had the privilege this year to participate in 4 probate transactions and successful court approved closings so we have a little more confidence in the process and what is expected by the parties involved.

So what is probate?  Probate is the legal process that results in a court validating someone’s will or determining that he or she died without one. The court, as part of the probate, will appoint someone to handle the bills of the deceased as well as his or her assets.

I’ve located an article that really drills down and explains some of the finer points here at

Overview of the California Probate Process  Please keep in mind that laws are constantly changing.  We strongly recommend that you seek legal counsel prior to making any decisions based on information provided by this blog.

If you find yourself or a family member in a situation where a probate sale may be necessary, please give us a call so that we can share our marketing strategies.  Keep in mind that these type of sales are generally avoided so an excellent marketing strategy and good communication skills will make a huge difference in bridging the gap of understanding with the public resulting in a faster sale at a higher price.

Our primary areas of experience include Temecula, Murrieta, Menifee, Wildomar, Hemet, Winchester, French Valley and Lake Elsinore.  We look forward to your call!  April Greer at 951-522-0518 or


Steps To 1031 Exchange

Posted on


Six Easy Steps to a 1031 Exchange

With nearly one-third of homes sold in the U.S. today purchased by investors and second home buyers, we should all know more about 1031 Exchanges. Section 1031 of the Internal Revenue Code allows you to roll the gain from the sale of your old property over to your new property without paying tax.
To accomplish this roll-over, there are six easy steps you must follow;

1. Both the old property you are selling and the new property you are buying must be held for investment. This requirement is defined quite broadly; therefore for example, you may sell bare land and buy an apartment building, sell an office building to buy a vacation home, or sell a warehouse to buy bare land. Your personal residence is not considered investment property. Typically, you have to hold each of these properties for a year and a day to qualify for a 1031 exchange.

2. From the day you close the sale of your old property, you have 45 days to complete a list of properties you want to buy. The list should identify the property clearly enough that an IRS agent could go directly to the property using your written description. In most situations, you want to put three properties or less on this list.

3. From the day you close the sale of your old property, you have 180 days to close on the purchase of one or more of the properties from your 45 day list. Whatever property you buy has to be on your 45 day list. Both the 45 and 180 day time frames are cast in concrete—there are no exceptions or extensions.

4. You must not touch the money during the time between the sale of your old property and the purchase of your new property. By law, you must use an independent third party, called a Qualified Intermediary, to hold your proceeds. The Qualified Intermediary also will prepare the legal documents required to link together, as a qualified exchange, the sale of the old property and the purchase of the new property.

5. You must take title to the new property in exactly the same way as you held title to the old property. If you held the old property as Fred Jones, you cannot buy the new property as Jones Investment Corporation. There are some exceptions to this rule for situations like a revocable living trust.

6. In order to defer 100% of the capital gains tax, you must meet two requirements. First, you must buy a property equal or higher in value than the one you sold. Second, you must reinvest all of the proceeds from the sale into the new property.

To complete a 1031 exchange in the greater Temecula Valley  please give us a call at 951-522-0518 or We’re also available to answer any questions we can!


All information deemed reliable but not guaranteed. For tax or investment advice we suggest you contact an attorney or certified tax accountant.